Bass Guitar Review takes a look at the Markbass Black Lady.Find out what Ryan thought of this Italian offering…
The Markbass “J Series” 2020 range of basses are Italian luthiered and the range includes basses with 10 colour options, dot or block inlays and Rosewood, Maple or Ebony fretless necks. They have classically inspired style bodies with their own Markbass “Jazz” style pickups and electronics and a narrow neck profile, but with modern features and unique colour matched headstock styling.
JP and Black Lady have Alder bodies and Block Inlays, JG have Basswood bodies and dot inlays (fretless is part lined), and the JF have Val Di Fiemme spruce bodies and block inlays.
The Black Lady is available with a rosewood or aged vintage style maple fingerboard with block inlays, and has a recommended retail price of £1679.
Made in Italy
- Body: Lightweight Alder
- Neck: Maple with vintage yellow finish
- Fingerboard: Rosewood
- 34″ scale, 20 frets with vintage cream binding, bone nut and mother of pearl block inlays.
- Markbass custom machine heads, F style | 20:1 ratio, ultra-light, precise and reliable.
- Markbass diecast bridge, lightweight, simple and functional in a perfect vintage style.
- Single coil J style passive pickups custom designed on Markbass specs, designed to match the Markbass electronics, 70’ style layout.
- Markbass Instrument Preamp (also available to buy separately!)
- The preamp has 6 controls and is configured vol/vol/passive tone, active bass/mid/treble
- The passive tone is push/pull to turn active on/off and the tone control works in both passive and active mode, with a perfect balance between output levels in each mode. Lets the player move from jaco or motown style tones to more modern and open sounds. Bass/middle/high controls on the active eq section add a modern character to this vintage flavoured instrument, delivering a balanced and defined tone even using extreme settings.
Markbass gigbag included.